Wednesday 21 October 2015

FZR forks overhaul

Well, I have been working on the front end of the "Track" FZR. I managed to get the brake pistons moving fairly well, and I think with some rubber grease in there, they will be OK.

The forks are a bit marked, and a full strip down was necessary, but I couldn't get the damper bolt out of the bottom of each fork leg, they were really stuck. Looking on the web, many people had used a 24mm (across flats) nut which fits in the top of the damper unit, so it was off to the shops to buy some threaded rod and 4 nuts.
The two additional nuts are just to block the others on the thread. It worked a treat and the fork legs are now apart.

The old gunge in the bottom of the legs was discusting - stank the place out! One of the bushes was worn, so I have purchased a kit off Ebay, which contains the 2x2 bushes and seals and dust covers.

I am also contemplating buying a do it yourself length of braided brake hose, with the appropriate fittings to do the front of the FZR, plus the rear on the RG, RD, and FZR, works out a lot cheaper, and doesn't seem difficult to achieve. Venhill do a kit of stuff.

No comments: