Wednesday 25 March 2015

Frustration....

A difficult weekend. I had already helicoiled the remaing M6 bolt hole in the front left cylinder as I knew it was dodgy, and it was the last one to do, but..... I had put an M5 thread into the hole instead of an M6 - I mean honestly how do I still make these mistakes at my age...

Anyway I didn't notice that until I was ready to fit the head, so off with the head, and Nr 1. cylinder, refit an M6 thread insert (lucky I didn't go bigger when I made the error!!), then spend about 30 mins trying to get the cylinder back on over the piston.... phew....finally managed and then noticed I had damaged the base gasket......I am going to cry! Removed both front cylinders to renew the gasket, although my base gaskets adjust the amount of squish clearance I get at the top, so I had to use a 0.25 and 0.75 gasket together to make the right squish - lucky I had them!

That was the regression that was this last weekend. Tuesday evening, I had everything together except that number 5 nut/stud on the rear cylinder head pulled through - wouldn't even take 20n/m of torque. So removed head, removed cylinder helicoiled the stud hole - they are very short - not surprising then that they get tired! I refitted the stud, and put it all back together, end of Tuesday evening the engine is now  closed - just waiting for my new rotary valves and covers.

I picked up my fairings which look OK, all white with a deep blue belly pan - will post some pictures when I receive and add the decals to them.

The Sunday Ride Classic is coming up fast and I still have a list of stuff to do.

No comments: