Monday 22 September 2014

Weekend work

Busy weekend on the bikes :-
Changed the petrol filter and the oil and filter on the Daytona (70K service).

The petrol filter has made a hell of a difference, the bike is much smoother, I opened the old filter and it was filthy - I also cleaned the tea bag in the tank, and that had loads of hairy bits on it, so that's good for another few kms. I used a HIFLO oil filter Nr. 204 on the Daytona, it should be a 191, but doesn't seem to be much different in size, so I am going with it. Used Castrol Power 1 Racing 10W50 oil. The petrol filter came from BMW (it's the same as for the K series BM's - still cost over 20 Euros, and I should be able to find it cheaper!).

Franco from Maranello Engineering wanted me to check the other carbon disks on the RG, to check for any cracks, I removed the other LHS disk, and although there are some very small chips in the leading edge, it looks OK. Franco reckons it may be because they were cut, that the centre split off, but I don't think we will ever know, although he has recommended that I move to a 0.3 mms clearance to be safe. I will be using the standard disks with a shorter open duration to see if I can get back some mid-range! These are Maranello products with screw up hubs and 0.9 thickness carbon disks, although the new ones are using a new material - prototype disks with a bigger carbon weave.

I replaced the clutch on the 350, no problems, next will be the cylinders etc....

I worked on the Ducati a bit too :-
Replaced the carb springs with lighter ones
Replaced the plug caps with resistor less ones
Dropped the bike about 12mm through the fork yokes, to improve front end turn-in




No comments: