Thursday 25 September 2014

Progress....

So, on the 350, the clutch cover is on, the kickstart installed, and my new Prox pistons are on... yummy.
The oil seals for the YPVS are proving to be a problem, they are just too big to get the valves back in the cylinders, I have looked around on the web, and apparently Yamaha have had issues with this, so maybe they gave me the wrong ones! I have invested another 3 quid in some o'rings from NK Racing and I will see if these are any better, but this is currently holding me up on the 350.

On the RG, I have been doing a lot of measuring and communication with Maranello Eng. to try and discover what would have caused the disk failure on Nr. 3. The front disks are fine (1 & 2), but the other rear cylinder disk is also heavily worn and marked, measuring up the clearance between the disk and the covers (on 2 & 4) in fact show that the clearance is not sufficient on Nr. 4. (only 0.15 mms), whereas minimum clearance should be 0.2mms. Nr. 2 was running at 0.25 mms, and there are no signs of wear. I also measured the axial play in between the disk edge and the cover as there is some movement between the disk hub and the crank, this proved to be pretty much the same on both cylinders, with almost 0.5mms on both cylinders. However when you push the disk to use the play on the crank the gap decreases by 0.1mms and 0.2mms down to 0.4mms  on Nr. 2 and 0.3mms on Nr. 4. Nothing conclusive here, but I should do the same with a new disk on Nr. 3 to see what results I get.
Worn disk on Cylinder 4
Disk to cover clearance should be min 0.2mms
measuring axial clearance disk to cover

No comments: