Friday 29 October 2010

Ducati is legal



Well, as I have been off sick from work, I took the opportunity to queue for 2 hours at the French prefecture in Grenoble to get the Ducati paperwork sorted, and guess what it is now fully legal in France, and registered as a Collectors bike, this allows me to insure for an additional 9 Euros per year!! Obviously it is not covered for theft for this price. So it now has a French number plate, and I only hope the weather stays nice so I can take it out before the winter arrives.

I had to helicoil one of the front brake caliper holding bolt holes, which gave me the opportunity to try out a new set of helicoil tools that I bought. The helicoil process allows you to replace the often to soft aluminium thread with a much stronger stainless steel thread insert, which looks much like a spring. You have to drill out the old thread with a specific size drill, then tap the thread that takes the insert. You use a special tool to "screw" the helicoil in, and once it is in position you break off the special tab (which is what the insertion tool uses) with another special tool, and there you have a bright and shiny new steel thread in the place of the old one. It was a pretty straight forward operation, although I made a mistake in pushing to hard on the insertion tool, which made the initial insert (remember spring like) stretch and jump a thread. I had to remove it and use another one, by just turning the tool, no pushing, and it worked perfectly!

No comments: