Sunday 28 September 2008

RG Gearbox







After getting the correct bit, a PH3 (for those that are interested), usng the impact driver I removed the various bits to allow me to get at the gearbox. The advantage of the RG 500 is that it has a "cassette gearbox" which means you can remove it from the side without having to disturb the crankcases. You still have to remove the clutch and it's basket, which went relatively well for me. I was kind of dreading getting the gearbox on the kitchen table - you know all those cogs and bits that need keeping in the same order etc..

With the gearbox on the kitchen table, I set about the task of understanding which bits I needed to remove in order to install the Nova gearbox. Basically Nova supply the input and output shafts with all the gears, they do however require you to keep two bushes on the input shaft and alter the position of a washer on the output shaft. The instructions were quite clear, and I proceeded without any issues. Once the new shafts and gears were in place, time to try and understand how a gearbox works! In fact it's still a mystery - the guys that design these for a living are obviously more clever than I!

I was able to verify by hand that I have most gears! and neutral, so hopefully I will find them all when everything is back together.

I am not going to use the two stroke oil pump (will use premix), so as I was not going to replace it I needed to make up a blanking plate for the hole it leaves in the gearbox, this was duely knocked up out of a bit of aluminium plate, and the gearbox was then returned to it's home - I really hope that I don't have to remove it again!

2 comments:

cosmicjokester said...

If it all works I'll be impressed, at least you can't "imagine" gearboxes not working when they are! LOL

DaveG said...

The RG gearbox is reknowned for having a weak 2nd and 6th gear, which can quite literally mean the cogs fall apart - not nice on the road let alone when racing!