Thursday 26 April 2007

Stripping down

Hi All,
SO the left hand piston had definately touched the barrel! In four places, I can't feel any damage with my fingers, but you can certainly see it clearly. On the piston you can feel some scratching, but I think I will remove this with fine emery, and ignore this! A rebore at this stage is probably not worth it.

After looking around the web and various forums, I still don't understand what is happening. I found a really good website which describes different types of seize on two stroke engines here : http://www.pwab.org/PISTONDIAGNOSTICGUIDE.htm

My piston looked perfect from the top, as in image one, but had 4 corner seized! The guy's web site says : The main causes for this problem are too quick warm-up, too lean carb jetting (main jet), or too hot of a spark plug range.

The plugs were perfect colour throughout the weekend, a lovely "cafe au lait", the warm-up was OK, and the jetting on the carbs is normally measured by looking at the plus - so I am no farther forward... anyone any ideas?

I will ask the bloke at the rebore shop, what he thinks.........

Still the bike is in pieces again, the fairing is ready to be painted, Pete Mockler is helping out with the number plates, we just need to get the engine going again.

Speak to you soon.

No comments: