Tuesday 17 April 2007

Ledenon - Photos




A quick update, after the rebore had a real problem with a pattern head gasket, which leaked water no matter how tight the head was on. After changing for the real YAMAHA part, everything works fine and no leakage. After all the tightening of the head, I may have loosened one of the cylinder studs (no.9). It appears to tighten but I can not reach the required torque without getting that sensation that something is about to break, slip... Anyway I have a track day planned as Issoire this weekend (22 April), and we will see if it holds until the engine is run in completely again. It will be interesting running in the bike at a track day but I don't really have an alternative, as I can not put it on the road. In preparation for this weekend, I have put on my "real" racing tyres AVON AM20 and AM23 (I think), these are much narrower than the previousl Dunlops but should bring back the very sharp handling I remember of old. I have also short circuited the oil pump, in order to run a petrol/oil mixture directly from the fuel tank. This meant, cutting the oil supply to the pump, draining the oil tank, and connecting the carburetor oil feeds connections together, to avoid them sucking in air. We will see how this performs!




In principal the bike starts and runs well with these modifications in place. I am now using the empty oil tank (saved at least one kilogram of weight of the oil here!), as a catch bottle for the crankcase breather, battery overflow, and carb overflow pipes. I routed all of these into the hole left after removing the oil level indication sensor from the tank.

The next challenge after this weekends outing, will be get the fairing painted... some thought required here. I will probably go for a boring white, which matches the tank, and the old seat unit, however if I get imaginative, I may add some speed blocks in a true Yam tradition!
I received my track stand in the mean time, so I should be alright without the centre stand this time around. I am just praying for fine weather this weekend!! It is forecast!
A couple of piccies of me on the bike at Ledenon.

2 comments:

cosmicjokester said...

why bother disconnecting the oil tank?
I hope this weekend is worth missing the bash of the year for!
Thanks for the pressy.

DaveG said...

Well if I am not using the pump seems silly to have over a litre of oil sitting in the tank.

Glad you got the pressie (early)!

Hope you have a great time, you should have told me your were paying for the evening!!