Wednesday 23 August 2017

Yamaha 350

Just back from hols. in Scotland and back to 30 degrees centigrade in the workshop! The 350 had been getting really difficult to start - only pushing it would work, so I was troubleshooting before the holiday, the left hand carb was missing the idle screw so I thought I had found it, anyway I sourced a new idle screw and it was exactly the same!

So with fuel and a spark, the next thing is compression. I pulled the generator cover to see if the left hand crank seal was blowing, and no oil in there, so I decided to remove the head, once it was off it was clear what the problem was.... The piston was cracked on the crown and all the way down to the gudgeon pin, this is potentially the 3rd time this has happened. Maybe the consequence of over revving....?

I have purchased a Mitaka replacement that I am assured is exactly the same as the cracked one, £60 from PJE motorcycle Engineering posted.

No comments: