Monday 22 February 2016

Getting nearer....

FZR 600 - OK the tyres are on - some nice Pirelli Supercorsas, I was limited to the SC2's due to the size of the tyres - 110 on the front and 160 on the rear. I have taken off the belly pan, tank cover and seat unit for painting - going for white again - it just makes it easier to manage! The only bits left to do on the FZR are setting up the carbs (richer) and I anticipate some messing with the cockpit fairing as I have dropped the clipons to below the top fork yoke so I am sure they will touch somewhere.

RD350 - Found that the clutch cover was leaking gearbox oil, so have replaced it with another one I had on standby. The cracked one has now been "cold welded" up and I have replaced the water pump oil seal on it so it should be a good spare. There also seems to be a leak from somewhere higher on the bike, I think one of the petrol pipes is maybe leaking every so slightly - need to find that.

RG500 - I finally received my cylinder back from PJ Motorcycle Engineers, they did a great job of replacing the sleeve, but forgot to mill out the piston for the thrust washers!  So I did it on my milling machine which was freshly repaired (had a small problem of bearings...). Went well so I am ready to start rebuilding the engine. I had to renew the thread insert on one of the cylinder studs, and I am worried that the aluminium of the cylinder is getting really "brittle" and I am not sure it will hold....




I also noticed that the new pistons have a cutout on the input side of the piston which I am trying to think how this would affect the transfer port performance....I will ask on the Gamma list....


No comments: