Wednesday 19 August 2015

Rebuild continues

Two steps forward one step back....
The engine was finished, and it fired 3/4 kick yesterday, not running very evenly, and I think I have inversed the rear carbs slides i.e. put the one from Cyl. 3 on 4 and visa versa, as they are way out in terms of synchro.

The worst of it though is that the front head gasket is leaking water...

Stripped the front head off and flipped the gasket to see if the leak moves, and it doesn't.... hmm....

Maybe there is a knick in the surface of cylinder holding it proud, or maybe the cylinder head is warped! Ordered a head gasket from Suzuki just in case, it will arive Thursday. Is it my impression or are the threads starting to pull through on one of the head studs......

In the process, changed over the carb slides, and now marked them up with coloured tie wraps. Green = gauche (left), Red = right, Red/black = right rear, Green/Black = left rear. 

In the process of removing the head I lost one of the heads nut washers - looked everywhere, moved the bikes, everything off the floor, removed the radiator, the exhausts to get a better look in between the cylinders, but nothing - really getting pissed off with this. I would prefer to be sleeping!

The head looks OK on a pane of glass, and with a set square, so I think that should be alright, there is a small (very) knick in the cylinder surface which I will remove when I get my new gasket on Thursday.

While I was doing nothing in the garage (!), took the rotary disk covers off on the RHS to check to see if the disk hubs were still tight (they were), so looking good there.

This morning, Libby came for a look, and found the washer in less than 5 minutes - was on a frame rail under the engine - F*&k !

No comments: