Monday 21 January 2013

Oil Leak fixed - perhaps....

You may remember eariler this year, that I was searching for a fluid leak on the RG500, after every race I was getting streams of oil coming through the fairing holes and although it wasn't getting on the tyres, it was getting embarassing having to clean the bike before each "controle technique". Anyway, the bikes been sitting in my new garage with the fairings off, and I noticed it was even dripping on my nice clean concrete floor! My initial throught was gearbox oil, but the leak was covering the front of the engine as well, and couldn't possibley work its way forward like that, then I throught it could be a combination of shit leaking out of the exhausts covering the front and a gearbox leak covering the back, with a smattering of carb blow back.

I couldn't identify where the drips were coming from, so I thought I would start her up and see if the added heat would give me a clue, anyway I couldn't start her up - I think a mixture of old petrol and not enough oomph in my battery eliminator, plus the very cold conditions....

After kicking it over for a while, I gave up decided to get some fresh petrol, and connect a battery, anyway when I came back to the bike after a couple of days, there were fresh drips, and they were definately coming either from the front crankcase (right hand side) bolt or from the rotary disk cover. Libby (sensitive nose) identified the fluid as premix - so we were onto something!

Anyway to make a long story short, there were some loose screws on 3 out of 4 inner disk covers, fortunately they had not loosened to touch the disks, themselves but my current thinking is that they were allowing premix to leak out.

My worry about this hyposthesis are twofold :-
1/. Why didn't my bike lean out and seize if I was leaking oil out, then air must have been getting in?
2/. Why didn't the outer covers, which were all tightly closed hold the oil in?

There was a large quantity of oil behind the only disk cover that seemed not to be leaking so I am fairly confident about my diagnosis, but still a little surprised!
I am in the process of replacing the gaskets and rubber seals plus loctiting the screws in - will update later when I've finished the rest of the winter build.

No comments: