Monday 8 August 2011

Technical Update

Finished the 350 over the weekend - refitted exhaust, and tested powervalve - everything seems OK. So got to work on the 500, I wanted to check the clutch operation, and fit bigger pilot jets going up from the standard 25's to 30's - may be a little excessive but according to people on the gamma list that's what I should be running with all the other mods to the bike - maybe it will make it easier to get off the line. I also refitted the connecting tubes to the carb trunks, in order to ensure I am getting cooler air into the carbs instead of picking up hot air from behind the radiator. I removed one exhaust, in order to get a clear view of the oil drain plug, drained the oil, and removed the clutch cover, nothing interesting in the clutch, my washers were still in place, and everything seems OK, I did however notice that one of the power valve covers was loose, which could have been causing the rattling noise I was hearing after Magny-Cours. Anyway put the clutch back, then changed all the pilot jets in the carbs, changed Nr. 1 o-ring aswell as it was looking a bit knackered. I opened the mixture screw to 1.5 turns in order to compensate for the bigger pilot jets.

In order to mess with the carb trunks, I needed to remove the petrol tank and seat unit, and when I did this, I noticed that my battery eliminator (a big capacitor) was broken, the positive connector was snapped off, unfortunately it had snapped off right at the base, so impossible to get some solder on it to fix it, so that one went in the bin, and luckily I still had a spare, so that went on. I have since ordered a couple of capacitors with a screw fixing to the terminals, which should be more solid.

Fresh oil in the gearbox, and now all is ready, we should be doing a track day at Ledenon next weekend. A couple of mates are interested in coming down, and will be trying the 350, while I will be trying to improve my times on the 500!

No comments: