Tuesday 3 May 2011

Croix-en-Ternois Race Report

Arrived at the circuit Friday lunch time, unpacked the bikes and the van, and booked myself 4 practise sessions to really run the RG in. The RG started fine, and although initially only running on 3 cylinders (well spotted Libby!) - I had left a plug cap off, I let it warm up on the stand two full cycles before taking to the track.

As a reminder, the changes since the last race (seized), new pistons (now Technium Honda CR125 items), new small end bearings, gudgeon pins, rings etc... with a rebore. After having checked the squish clearance, I was running at around 0.5mms of squish which is too low. The recommended squish is anywhere between 0.8 and 1.0 mms, so I added another 0.5mm base gasket to bring me up to around 1.0mm. Whilst this is on the big side, it will certainly be less fragile. Also I upped the main jets in the rear carbs, to 230's and added the carb trunks which I consider to be worth at least 5 points of richening.

Nothing to report after 3 sessions of gently bringing the RG up to full revs. We didn't get to complete the fourth session (or even start it) as the heavens opened and we were all awash. The bike was running quite cool at around 65-70 degrees C, which is a good sign.

Saturday morning, I had to qualify with the 350, so despite a damp track I went out to qualify near the back of the grid - I was having problems getting confidence in the drying conditions, and I couldn't get my lap speeds down.
Next out on the now completely dry track, I managed to qualify the RG 500 with a 1:04, which whilst 6 seconds off the leaders pace, it did allow me to qualify for the Superbike final - all be it from the back row. Both bikes were running well, if a little soft, I probably needed to down jet on the 350 a little, and reduce the squish on the 500.

Classic Race1
I got a reasonable start from the rear of the classic grid and managed to pull back some places before the hairpin at turn 1. The organisers had mixed up the slower superbikes with the classics, and although this did provide more bikes, it was a bit of a pain as these bigger bikes are faster on the straights than my 350 so it was a case of lots of overtaking in the bends and then get blasted on the straights. I got my best lap time down to 1:05.8 which is 1 second off what I can do on the 350. I finished 3rd classic bike.

Superbike Race1
Starting from the last row, I was last into the first bend, I had some fun with a VFR750, and a GSXR, on the first few laps. The race was red flagged because of a petrol spill and a multiple pile up involving one rider needing hospitalisation (broken ribs and collar bone). On the restart I was up a grid row, with all the fallers behind me, and whilst they didn't stay there long, it made the rest of the race entertaining. My fastest lap was a 1:04.697 finishing at 22nd position - not last but nearly!

Saturday evening was again stormy from around 17:00 onwards, so much so, we were grateful to have booked a meal in the circuit restaurent!


Classic Race 2
Starting from the second row, I got a reasonable start, and straight away got past my competitors in the classic category, with only the TZ350, and a Ducati in front. I kept roughly the same position, not being able to pick up time on the guys in front, but once again losing out to the bigger power of the Superbikes that were racing with us. The best lap time I could manage was a lowly 1:06.

Superbike Race 2
Once again starting from the rear, the race was consistent with the first i.e. I was fighting to keep off the last place, which once again I managed but only due to the unfortunate fallers or break downs. Still the bike went reasonably well, nothing to report, pulling quite well 'til around 11k rpm.

I will be changing tyres for the next weekend at Magny Cours, and I will need to change the squish on the RG to be a little more agressive. Speak to you soon, and thanks for Chris and Libby for coming to watch.
I will post video soon.

For memory, the gearing on the 350 was too short, being difficult in a number of spots reving to high out of bend 2 and having to short shift into bend 5 (before hairpin). The gearing on the 500 was fine using a 42 tooth sprocket at the back, and standard at the front.

No comments: