Sunday 23 January 2011

Kevlar clutch



Hi All,
I wanted to try Kevlar clutch plates in the RG, and as the only source seemed to be from RG500.com at $120, problem is it is very expensive to ship from the US, so I thought I would try and find the equivalent at EBC in Europe. I had read that the ZX6R clutch plates were similar, so looking at the EBCbrakesDirect site for both the RG500 and the ZX6R you find the same reference in standard clutch plates, but no reference for the RG.

Being as the standard clutch plates are the same, the logic goes that the Kevlar ZX6R ones would also fit, so I ordered a set. Unfortunately they only seem to sell them as a kit with the springs, which are not at all the same, probably twice as long, anyway this morning I took the RG clutch down, and compared the plates. Almost exactly right, although the ZXR ones are 143 in overall diameter versus the RG plates at 141mms. On installing the plates I can confirm that they do seem to fit, and do not rub at all. The other difference is that the ZXR plates have a notch cut out of every third tab, but I don’t think that is of any consequence. For reference the Kevlar plates come up around 2.8mms in thickness, and there are nine in the kit.

The reference at EBC for the kit including springs is : SCR 038 and I ordered mine here :-

for 90 pounds plus shipping. Given current exchange rates this is probably more expensive for America, however this is cheaper that getting the RG500.com ones shipped.

So they are in the bike now, I just need to find a suitable oil, and I will be able to test my new clutch.

No comments: