Monday 16 August 2010

Update

Well back from my hols. in Uzbekistan - interesting experience!

Back to the bikes. The RG is now fully built, and it started easily yesterday, I will need to adjust my carbs, in fact I have bought a Suzuki tool, which measures the fuel level in each float chamber, and I was surprised to find there was a big difference between carbs. in the left 2 carbs the fuel was approximately up to the gasket level, and with the right carbs it was way below, about 14 mms. It should be at 5 mms below the gasket so I will need to adjust my float heights to compensate.
The engine runs OK, although once I have balanced the carbs I will need to run in the new piston, and "hope" I didn't miss any bits of small end hiding in the crankcase - I have bought a new bearing kit - just in case!

I have made a fibre glass mold, and yesterday I layed up the carbon and it should be dry this evening, so if I can remove the carbon from the mold, I may have a new rotor cover this evening - I'll take some photos if it looks good!

The RD350, has a new set of Goodridge brake hoses for the front, I needed to change these because the guys in scrutineering didn't like the fact that I had a brake line splitter which was below the lower yoke on the forks, so now I have 2 lines going directly to the calipers, must have saved at least 50 grams...

Jobs left to do before Croix-en-Ternois :-
Find a fireman (any volunteers?)
Redo the steering stops on the RG500
Adjust the carbs on the 500

At this point I am aiming to do the the endurance on the 350 with Christian, and run the 500 in the other races.

Speak to you soon.

Dave

No comments: