Thursday 17 December 2009

Decisions, decisions....

So, after measurement by my tuner, it would appear that my pistons and cylinders are at the limit of needing a rebore - at least one cylinder will require reboring. So for my peace of mind I am going for the rebore, however the stock Suzuki pistons are really expensive, and the tuner has a couple of options :-

Either I go for a full 570cc upgrade, this means boring out extensively the stock cylinders and fitting 60mm diameter pistons. This gives an extensive increase in mid range, and a little bit at the top end. The other option is to go for a rebore using CR125 pistons. This has the advantage of only "using" one rebore size, but also these pistons only have single rings, and therefore will have less friction. The biggest advantage is that I will still have loads of cylinder left for additional rebores later on.

OK decision made - I am going for a rebore with the CR125 pistons - I hope it still runs OK with Honda parts in the engine!! (in fact the pistons are made by ProX, but still made for a Honda dirt bike).

No comments: