Tuesday 25 September 2007

Croix-En-Ternois




The weekend was the last in the pro-classic series for 2007. We were invited to participate in the "Chpt France Vitesse Motos Anciennes"! Because of the limited number of races we had the possibility of having two complete grids running. The split was "Unlimited & Post Unlimited" and "Classic", however due to the lack of classics to fill the grid we were also allowed to run in the classics just for the fun.

This is what I did, so I had 2 x free practises, 2 x timed practises, 2 x Unlimited races and 2 x Classic races - 8 sessions in the weekend!

The weekend was great, weather-wise and Libby was really pleased to see we had plenty of room in the pits (and loos!).

My first practise session started badly as I only finished 10 or so laps before the bike cut out! I pushed to the side, and then it started again no problem, going back to the pits did not identify where the breakdown was coming from, but a fresh set of plugs allowed me to participate in the second practise.

First timed practise went fine although I only managed a 1:10.410 - I had managed a 1:09 in the race at the begining of the season and I was really expecting to see 1:09's consistently, but this was only just the case, in the second practise session where I managed a 1:09.138! Enough to get me in the middle of the pack for the classics race and at the back for the unlimited's.

Race 1 (Classic)
I got a reasonable start, and had a relatively lonely race - I ended up roughly in my place at 11th position scratch - this didn't score me any points as of course my category is "unlimited". Best time during the race 1:09.314.....

Race 1 (Unlimited)
Didin't feel like a good race, my favourite opponents were in front, and I could not make much impact on them for a good part of the race. I finished with a best time of 1:08.946 - I really must concentrate on keeping my corner speed, I get the impression that I am braking too early down the long straight! I tried braking with my rear brake, but this did lead to a scary moment as I blocked the back wheel - I was convinced I had a puncture for at least 2-3 bends! Once I got used to using the rear brake, it did really help shorten my braking distances, although not making much (if any) difference on my lap times. I finished 11th of my category so scoring some useful points!

Race 2 (Classic)
A misty start to the day, but the track was completely dry - we were the first race on! I had a good race finishing in 10th position scratch with a best time of 1:08.962. Nothing to add.

Race 2 (Unlimited)
After a 40 minute wait around (after the previous race), we were called to the pre-grid. Unfortunately my bike refused to start! We changed the plugs, and eventually got it started by opening the throttle wide, and pushing, most spare hands were used to push me and whilst the bike started a couple of times it kept stalling almost straight away. We got the bike on a rolling road, and the guy was managing to 2.5K revs in first gear, but the bike refused to start, by this time my race had already done a warmup lap nd if I wanted to join it was now or never!

We were just giving up, when of course "old reliable" burst into song! I screamed it all the way to the pits (10K revs all the way) to keep the bike going. There was no-one on the gate so I took the bike out onto the track and completed a lap, however I had no idea of where in the proceedings we were, I was not sure if we were on the first, second warm up lap or even if the race had started, so I pulled back into the pit lane. The race director told me could start but behind the safety car!

Just to add to the stress the bike stalled!!!!.............. But started first kick!

I started behind the car, and he pulled wide to let me overtake on the second bend I was at least 200 yards behind the nearest rider! I suppose the red mist came down, and I decided that this would not be my final position on the final race of the year! I managed to get past Olivier (69), then Patrick (44), and then past Herve (13) to finish an honourable 12th position in my category, with a best lap time of 1:08.280, my personal best for this circuit! Someone in the pit lane even said I should start behind the car more often, as I was quicker catching up!

Anyway, a great end to a great weekend, and a fantastic season - thanks to all that have followed me electronically or in the flesh (yes my Dad, and brother were over for the weekend!).

I will post a couple of video clips and photos, but my blog will go into winter mode of preparing the bike - I still have some bits to fit!!!

No comments: