Tuesday 27 March 2007

What had I bought?

Before touching the bike, I ran it up the road a few times, just to make sure that there was nothing terminally wrong with it. It appeared that it worked well (just as I had remembered), although it had a small oil leak from the clutch cover, and a weepy oil seal from the left hand fork leg.
The next few weekends and evenings I spent stripping of all of the non essentials. The horrible road fairing went first, followed by the lights, indicators, mudguards etc…
I then got down to stripping the forks and replacing the oil seal in the left leg, I replaced the front brake lines with stainless braided lines (which were part of the spares, from the guys racing bike). I also changed the fork oil, and brake fluid, and finally bled the brakes. Up to this point no problems.

The second major task was to stop the oil leak. I stripped down the right hand engine cover, which involves draining the coolant, and gearbox oil. The gasket looked OK, but I replaced it anyway, thinking that this was the cause of my leak. Anyway to cut a long story short, after removing the cover and second and then third time, and replacing the oil (with a browner colour), I realized that my leak was not gearbox oil, but two stroke oil which was making it’s way from behind the oil pump, and dripping down to under the gearbox. The two stroke oil was red, and my new gearbox oil was light brown! The only choice was to replace the oil pump itself, as there are no serviceable parts in the oil pump itself. On replacing the oil pump, I bled the pump, and attached the oil lines to each carburetor, leaving the cover off, as you still need to prime the oil lines using a special procedure.

Whilst on the engine, I replaced the chain, and gearbox sprocket, the sprocket on the rear wheel looked fine, so I didn’t touch it.

I was planning to make myself some rearsets, however with time running a little short, I purchased rearsets, and a replacement rear shock from Hagon (UK), these went on and the bike was ready for a test. In order to prime the oil ways, you start the bike and then hold the pump open (with your fingers) to maximum, which I did. After a couple of seconds the bike started smoking, and I took this as a sign that all was well and the lines were filled, to my dismay this was not the case – but we’ll get to that.
I ran the bike up the road a couple of times and was well happy with my progress.

No comments: