Tuesday 25 September 2012

Carole Weekend 7

Looking forward to Carole this weekend - the last ProClassic weekend of the year. My last race will be with the VMA on the 350 on the 26th October. Libby isn't coming with me this weekend as the date got changed at the last minute and she has other stuff to do, which means the pit crew is down to one - me!

Been looking at ignition timing over the past few days, to see if I can "guess" at a better curve. The feeling on the web is that the RG can easily cope with an additional advance of 4 degrees across the rev range, and you can actually physically change the pickup cover on the crankcases to alter the static timing for the full range up to 4 degrees. The standard static timing is supposed to be (to be checked) 26 degrees BTDC.

The zeeltronic will take that pulse as activated by the crank going past the pickup, and then modify it to be whatever you want it to be, within limits. The limits are given by the static timing, i.e. The zeeltronic can not make an ignition pulse happen before the actually trigger from the pickup, so with the standard installation we are limited to playing with between TDC and 26 degrees BTDC. So the winter plan would be to modify the standard pickup to give at least 30 degrees of static advance. There do exist different setups which use different stators and pickups on the stator rather than the pickup on the crankcases, but they do require significant changes, so will probably look to just changing the static time to give me more range to play with.

In the meantime, I have replaced the choke assembley on cylinder 4, and that's about it! The gearing should be the same as Ledenon 15/39. The weather for the next weekend is cooler, so again I won't change jetting as I was slightly rich at Ledenon.

The 350 was making some leaky exhaust noises at Ledenon, which came down to a loose power valve retaining screw which was letting the power valve flap around a bit, I made the most of having the exhausts off to reseal them.The left hand cylinder exhaust doesn't really align with the pipe, so again I will make some changes this winter. I also adjusted the float heights to 23mm to try and stop them overflowing a bit. We'll see.

On a different topic my new race HQ is nearly finished, photos will follow when I get the orange walls finished - Ready to Race!

No comments: