Saturday 12 May 2012

Piston Replacement

The new piston arrived, and before installing it I wanted to note the relative weights and dimensions :-

The old TKR piston  weighed in at 205 gms and the new Mikata Piston came in at 195 gms.

The dimensions were pretty similar, I hope the 10 gms difference doesn't induce any vibration. Having remvoed the carbs I put in 390 main jets, I mistakenly removed the float bowl on one carb as that is what I am used to doing and promptly found myself with 2 floats in my hands. They run on sliders, connected to the float bowl, and are released as you remove the floatbowl, in fact on the new carbs (VM34), you have a big nut covering the main jet so changing them is real easy. I also put some gasket silicon around the carb balance pipe as it may have been leaking air there. I won't start it again until it gets fine enough to take it outside..

I also have found a vendor for the rubber o'rings behind the RG 500 carbs. Simply Bearings in the UK seam to do two different o'rings that are about the right size, I have gone and ordered up 10 of each to see which is the best size. From what I can measure (difficult to measure a rubber band!), the Outside Diameter is 36mm, the ID is 32 and the approximate thickness of the ring is 1.75.

I ordered these and these.

Nogaro in a few weeks, and I still need to upjet the 500, change my wets onto different wheels, and change the Exhaust opening revs.

No comments: