Sunday 8 January 2012

Custom cables for VM34

Well, I've joined the club of the custom cable makers - I can now solder nipple on the end of a cable and it holds! The problem is that I still haven't managed to get my new cables to open the throttles correctly, I can have a fully open throttle with a third open at "idle" or I can have the throttle closed on the idle screw but only seven eighths fully open!

The technique to making a nipple stick, is getting the cable totally grease free, and then feeding on the nipple, and then squashing the end of the cable with pliers, you then push up the nipple until it sits about 0.5 mms from the end, and then after dunking the whole thing in the flux, you heat, and add solder (plumbers stuff not electrical), after a couple of attempts, I got it just about right, but I have given up for the day as I am getting frustrated about getting the actual length right. I have a feeling that my original cable setup is not capable of pulling enough cable to lift the bigger slides, and that I will have to buy another throttle setup.

Anyway it's another skill learnt at least!


I bought the "nipples" on line in a place called: trialbits.co.uk

No comments: