Sunday 6 March 2011

The van

I may have mentioned I bought a Renault Trafic to serve as race transport this year. The van will be cheaper to run than the car plus trailer and also it will go through the "peages" cheaper as it is less high than the trailer.

But will everything fit in - you don't realise the amount of "stuff" that becomes indispensable when trying to keep 2 bikes running all weekend. Well it was clear from the start that we would never fit all the crap in the trailer and car into the back of the van. This weekend we made a trial run, and in fact I was surprised at exactly what we could fit it.

I took the opportunity to down jet the Suzuki to 220's as it was really still too rich at 230's at Ledenon, although first race of the year is at Nogaro in 4 weeks, and Nogaro has this notorious long straight which has never been lucky for me - I have seized both bikes at the end of the straight! So I am hoping that the temperature will be less extreme than during the summer (the RG hit 94 degrees C last year when it seized, with an external temperature of around 34 degrees!), and I will keep the tickover really high, and the choke on at the end of the straight to ensure enough cooling fuel lubicates the cylinders!

No comments: