Monday 25 August 2008

Ignition Tests

After Carole last time my ignition was deemed faulty, and although the manufacturer (Borut - zeeltonic) could not find any fault with it, he very kindly replaced both the boxes. As he couldn't find a problem he sent me back both sets, and I need to try them both out and give him a set back - great service!!

My bike has been running on the standard Yam ignition so I know it works. I replaced the yam ignition and powervalve controller with the zeeltronic ignition and power valve controller. I had to charge the battery as it had gone flat during my vacation, but the bike started second kick, and I ran the bike up and down the road for 10 minutes. It went to the red line OK, and seemed to produce reasonable power.

Second test, was to replace the standard Yam stator with the race stator (less windings, less electrical friction). This went on fine, and although it is wired up wrongly (the red and green wires are inverted and so are the pickup wires red/white, and green/white), it worked fine, and I think I even perceived a difference in the bike's ability to pickup revs. quickly. I have been noticing that the bike is difficult to start off the line, a slight hole in carburation at low revs, however with this setup, this certainly seemed diminished. I ran the bike up the road a few times and it worked well. This is the configuration I will start with for the race this coming weekend.

I will need to test my "old" zeeltronic ignition, as I promised Borut that I would send back one of the sets.

I have ordered some XR77 Castrol 2 stroke racing oil from a web site, however - typical France - they accepted the order but are on holiday until September 1st - so I now have the urgent problem of finding some decnt oil. I have found a supplier in Lyon, which I will check out tomorrow (Tuesday). The XR77 is supposed to be 2 stroke oil specifically suited to unleaded fuel, so I am hoping it will be OK, if I can't get Castrol, I will use Ipone Samourai, as it has a good reputation on the forums. I just can't find a good supplier of Motul 800 (roadrace) or I would probably stay with that!

More news after the weekend.

No comments: