Tuesday 19 April 2016

RG gearbox bits

So I removed the gearbox this evening to find the missing bits of the tabs holding the main bearing, and also to try and understand what had caused the problem. I eventually found the 2 bits, accompanied by some other debris in the sump of the primary drive shaft.

To be honest I can not see anything else untoward except the bearing is proud by about 3 mms, oh yes and the other thing I did notice was that the gear change cam thingy was lose on it's bolt, and wasn't engaging correctly. I don't know if any of these things would make a difference, I suppose the good thing is that there doesn't look to be any damage to the gearbox itself, although I will need to take the shaft off the plate in order to reposition the bearing, so will need to renew the various spring clips, but hardly a big expense to pay.

No comments: