Monday 4 October 2010

Pistons in

So I got my gasket cement/maker on Friday in the post, it is THREEBOND 1104 which is liquid and grey in colour and runny, but most importantly it is resistant to petrol and oil!

Friday evening I got the crankcase upper on, and fitted the pistons, I was hoping I would have 2 new pistons from Mark Dent, however due to a cock up with his supplier, he received the wrong size, hence I have put the old ones back in, (old is a relative term as they don't have many miles on them at all). The gudgeon pins and bearings and circlips are new. interestingly you can really feel, on the old gudgeon pins, a ridge that has worn - either a symptom of the broken bearings or the reason. Anyway, at least the bottom end is now new, and balanced, so even if I swap out pistons at a later date, this isn't much work. I am on a run down to the last race weekend now, so it would be nice to get the RG back out on the track even if I just run in the cranks, and bearings.

I need to get the cylinders on and the rotary valves in place this evening.

The rest of last weekend was spent at Magny-Cours watching the French round of the World Superbikes, both races being very exciting with plenty of suspense up until the last laps. The 1000 superstock was good as well with a French rider winning the race in front of Badovini and his BMW. The only bummer of the weekend was the wind, which broke my tent, "luckily" on the Sunday. We had a good trip up and back, on some small twisties through the massif central. Both BMW and Aprilia had huge stands with all of their models present.

Update tomorrow if I manage to take some photos.

No comments: